Thursday, August 6, 2009

Power Outage

Well Tuesday at Ellettsville turned out to be pretty eventful, or eventless, however you choose to look at it. As soon as I got out of class the sky turned a sinister shade of black and then came the rain. It poured for a good 20 minutes, with wind gusting and the whole works. I have a great raincoat so it didn't stop me from accomplishing the chores I had scheduled for the short window of time I have between class and work! When I got closer to the library I noticed that the surrounding stop lights were not working, which made me wonder if the branch would have power. At this point the rain had slowed to a light drizzle, with intermittently booming thunder. As I walked up to the main entrance I noticed all of the staff filing out. "Oh! We forgot about you! We're closed!," they said. I can't say I was too dismayed.

It did get me started thinking about how the library itself is still vulnerable even though our patrons expect us to be in business rain or shine. I wonder how many people in the area that were without power came to the branch expecting some sort of respite, air conditioning, etc, only to find it closed? Just a reminder that even a respected and solid institution like the library isn't immune when it comes to Mother Nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment