Thursday, August 6, 2009

Any Work for a Poor Grad Student?

I just learned last week that the Ellettsville branch is hiring a part-time circulation clerk. The previous clerk was away on maternity leave and then her husband got a job teaching in Arizona and they had to pack up and move immediately. I went ahead and applied for the job because a. I could really use the extra income, b. I think it would be a great, well-rounding experience, and c. I like working at Ellettsville and it'd be nice to get paid for it! My paid internship at the Main library ends at the end of December, and I'll need something else to help pay the bills after that. I feel a strong connection to the branch library-patrons and staff-and would love to stay on working in some other capacity.

Learning the circulation side of things would be really helpful in gaining an all-encompassing view of how the library functions. It also seems to be an extension of the service that is provided at the reference desk. Circulation clerks here still know their patron base and have a good, or mostly good, working relationship with them. I love (and hate) that aspect of the library. I love talking to people and getting to know them and their families. It can go the other way though, and you can have patrons who expect special priveleges or don't respect the boundaries of the relationship, i.e. hitting on you, asking for phone numbers, etc. Those patrons tend to be few and far between though!

I am hoping I get some consideration for the position. Though I don't have direct circulation experience I do know a fair amount and am familiar with how the Monroe County Public Library system functions. Also, since I already know the computer system pretty well there wouldn't be too much time spent training me in that area. Plus, a lot of the patrons are already familiar with me! And last but not least, I need a job that pays a semi-decent wage which is hard to come by in this town! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment