Friday, August 7, 2009

Musings

Well, today is one of my last days working as an intern at the Ellettsville branch. Next Tuesday is my last day and I will be sad to leave. It has been kind of taxing driving out here three times a week but it has been well worth it. I feel like I have really gained valuable professional experience that I could only have gotten from working at a library. It is really easy to sit in class and discuss theory and hypothetical situations, but it is much more of a task to answer the phone, answer patron questions, help with computers, make copies, etc, etc. I like learning about the theory though, because I think that's what you draw from when you're trying to put things into practice. The theory doesn't always work, because it's a theory, but it's often better than starting from scratch.

The face of the library will definitely be changing in the next few years. Many staff members that were thinking about retirement will instead work a little longer. Many libraries that could really use extra staff and materials will go without due to budget cuts and tightening fiscal belts. However, at a time of high unemployment and financial strain the public counts on resources like the library more than ever. It will become increasingly difficult to serve the growing number of patrons with a small budget. But with the help of the Friends of the Library, the Community Foundation, and other groups I know that Monroe County libraries and libraries all over will make it work. Some libraries may have to close their doors, but I don't doubt that in times of greater economic progress we will see those same libraries open for business once again.

It's a rocky road, and rather daunting as I think about graduating, finding a job, paying back student loans, etc. I'm choosing not to freak out about anything just yet, and adopting the 'wait and see' attitude that the U.S. has perfected over the last 10 years. I digress, libraries certainly have a future but the structure of that future I think will continue to develop as the role of the library develops and changes. We will survive. There's no denying that people love the library and wouldn't want it to go away. Sadly the same people that believe it is their right to enjoy public services like the library are often the same ones who don't want to pay anything for it. It's got to come from somewhere, and it's time to start being patriotic about something other than the war. Why not libraries?

No comments:

Post a Comment