Thursday, July 9, 2009

Moving Right Along

Summer just keeps moving along and it's hard to believe the kids start school again in a little over a month! Things are going great at Ellettsville! I am learning people's names, they are starting to learn mine. I met a three year old, female Evan the other day. She was very interested to meet another girl with the same name as hers. I also received my first patron 'gift' from a little girl that I had helped. She left a pin a for me that has Ariel from The Little Mermaid on it. Maybe it's the red hair, I don't know. I now wear the pin with pride on my ID from the Main library. It's true that the little things make it all worthwhile. Knowing that one little girl was appreciative enough to give me something is a really good feeling.

I have had the opportunity to help out with another program. This year's nation-wide summer reading theme is Be Creative @ Your Library, so we had a craft-oriented program for the younger kids. Stephanie Holman, one of the children's librarians at the branch, has great ideas for fun activities that parents and kids can enjoy together. I am learning a lot just by observing the way she interacts with the kids and how she organizes the activities. For this past program kids were able make beads out of wallpaper and art clay and foam. They could then string their beads on a string to make a necklace. The table I was stationed at let kids create their own stationary. They picked the paper to use, then came over to my table and using embossing ink stamped a design on their paper. They then sprinkled glitter on the design and then a volunteer would put it under a heat gun for a few seconds to complete the embossing. We got to make our own too :) A lot of reminding kids to press hard on the paper and soft on the ink pad but nonetheless so much fun!

All in all I am getting a very well-rounded experience at Ellettsville, with all kinds of questions to answer and information to help people find. Not to mention that the staff is always so helpful and nice. Everyone is happy to answer questions and I love the 'community' mentality; if we are busy and the check out line needs help we jump right in! A lot different from some of the compartmentalized places I have worked. I can't believe this week is almost over...and so is summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment