Monday, July 27, 2009

Home Stretch

A few weeks ago I created a booklist/read-alike list for Christian fiction author Barbara Lewis. She mainly writes books with Amish themes and is insanely popular here at the branch. This was truly a lesson in keeping the patron interest at heart as opposed to personal preference because let's just say, not a fan. However, never having had a remote desire or even an inkling to read Christian fiction (let alone Amish themed Christian fiction) did not take away my ability to use the skills gleaned from Readers' Advisory. This project was pure proof that paying attention to editorial and reader reviews can really help determine the setting, tone, and characterization of a book. I made great use of resources like NoveList Plus, Fiction Connection, Library Thing, etc. to help me find reviews and recommended reads. Not every book I read a review for was a good match for the read-alike list, and I didn't need to read the book in its entirety to recognize that. I feel very confident that Barbara Lewis fans will also enjoy my selections because I knew what qualities to look for when searching for other reading choices.

This was excellent practice for doing something kind of out of my "element," and also satisfying because I succeeded in creating a great reading list for our patrons!

No comments:

Post a Comment