Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Cooking" Up Some Books!

I am coming along with my collection development project. For awhile there I was so swamped at the reference desk that it was hard to get anything done! I have finally had some time to devote towards getting my 'wish list' together and it has actually been really fun! I have been making good use of the various print resources distributed by book vendors to libaries. Choosing the cooking section of the nonfiction collection has been really fun, because it's something that I can actually relate to. I love to cook (see other blog) and love reading about cooking/recipes, etc. even more.
Choosing cookbooks to add to the library's collection was no trouble at all. Well, the trouble came in deciding what not to purchase as opposed to finding things to purchase. I tried to base my selections on areas in the library's collection that need beefing up, i.e. high circulation areas that needed more materials and underrepresented areas that might need some brightening so to speak. I also tried not to order books that the Main library already has, though in some selections it was unavoidable. Books that I thought would do really well at the branch I ordered, even if Main had a copy. Brand-new books that the Main library has just received I also put on my list, making sure to make a note of the books held by Main. Some of them I figured patrons could place hold requests for and get them sent over, but others I thought that Ellettsville deserved to have its own copy. That also went for lost/stolen items, because if I could find it still in print I ordered it. All in all it has been a very fun and rewarding project, because I really see all of the work that goes into ordering books to fill a collection area. I think that I probably had the easier job, to supplement and weed an already existing collection as opposed to creating one from scratch!
It's too bad that Publishers Weekly unveils its Cookbook publication in August! Of course, after I've completed my project, devoted to cooking. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment