Sunday, May 17, 2009

Learning the Ropes

Having finished my first week as an intern at the Ellettsville Branch Library, pictured above, I have already learned so much about working in/at a library and I have to admit...I love it! Pretty much everything about it appeals to me and I love being able to have contact with the public and help them find what they are looking for. I'm also continually amazed at the wealth of resources available at the library, looking at the library website and PAC (Public Access Catalog) have been helpful in learning about some of the things available in the community. Seeing such a vibrant library community as exists in Ellettsville and Bloomington makes it abundantly clear that a good library system thrives with an active and involved community.
Besides meeting patrons and answering their questions I have been learning some of the more 'library specific' things, i.e. computer programs. MCPL (Monroe County Public Library) has an intranet that gives information about the library, and connects the branch to the main. I perused the site and looked at policies, guidelines, and the mission of the library. I also enjoyed reading about the Strategic Plan for the library, which deals with internal and external issues concerning the library. I found information about the other important groups within the main library, such as an adult tutoring program called VITAL, and a service for Latinos, El Centro Comunal Latino. These could be two great resources for referring patrons.
Many exciting things are going on at Ellettsville, and the summer is a great time to be there. There is going to be some great summer programming for kids, a Read It Off program where kids can read off their fines by checking out and returning books, and Summer Reading Programs. I think the library is such a great place, and that kids should have an early relationship with it. Knowing that the library is a great resource, and knowing how to use it is central to creating a growing community of library users, and more informed people in general. Plus, the library is under construction and the new addition will house the children's collection. The concrete floor has been poured and the roof is on, and most of the days I have been there they are working away. Here is a picture of the construction:

Hopefully it will be done before my internship is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment