Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Thoughts



Before officially embarking on my career as a librarian tomorrow, I wanted to take some time to reflect on what I hope to gain from this internship and my thoughts on librarianship in general. One morning while commuting to a job I hated I had an epiphany that librarianship was truly a career path I could enjoy. After being enmeshed in the world of 'true crime' working as a translator for the police, I had become very jaded and pessimistic about my role in a world that seemed to me to be such an ugly, unforgiving place. And while I still believe the world is that way, I think that my role in it has changed for the better.
Librarians are no longer the keepers of knowledge and wisdom as was the case for so long. Instead, in an age of technology and ever-changing, ever-improving resources we are often learning along with our patrons and showing them the way on their journey for information. Plus, it's not just about books anymore. If it was just books, books, books all day long I don't think I'd mind, but librarianship has come to mean so much more. Not to mention that the role of the librarian has changed drastically, and librarians are less and less the bespectacled, cardigan-wearing 'shushers' of the past. Patrons are also changing as far as what they need from the library and the librarian. As people become more savvy with technology, they seem to think they are more self-sufficient and don't need to ask questions. I know I am that way: I feel like because I am going to be a librarian that I should be able to navigate the library with the utmost ease. Silly me! It's OK to ask questions! And ironically enough, that's what librarians are there for.
So, starting my internship at the Ellettsville branch tomorrow is really exciting to me for a lot of reasons. First, I get to work with a great staff. Second, I get to be a part of the library's big renovation to expand their space for the children's collection. Third, I get to work closely with kids because summer vacation will be in effect. Lastly, I will get practical experience working in a library! I hope to learn more about library programming, circulation, collection development and much more. I will use this blog as my journal, and make entries throughout my internship over the summer. I will include pictures of the library, the progress of constructing the addition, and any other fun moments that just need to be captured on film. This is also a place to take stock of my day, go over notes, reflect on particularly relevant articles or issues, and to just talk about it all hanging in the balance as a Libran librarian. More to come...Cheers!

Currently reading: Doing It by Melvin Burgess
Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
La Perdida by Jessica Abel

Currently listening: Eyedea & Abilities E & A




No comments:

Post a Comment