Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bring on the Summer!

So it's summer at the library! This is a great time to be working at the library, or not, depending on how you look at it. Summer at the library means kids are out of school, it means summer reading programs, and it means you're dealing with both. I was warned that summer would be hectic at Ellettsville, what with the construction and the beast known as "Summer." Kid time is definitely a given at this time of the year and I wholeheartedly accepted the challenge. Having worked in a jail and in the homicide department, I am pretty confident in my ability to deal with kids. They can't possibly do anything worse than some of the things I've seen/heard.

I am already loving the reference desk and all the chores it entails. I like helping people use the computers and figure out the new time management system that has been recently installed. Kind of the guinea pigs for the Monroe County library system, Ellettsville Library computers are now using Envisionware to manage the computers and monitor patron use. The old system, SAM, was a world of problems: only certain computers were able to print, only a few had CD-rom, etc, etc. And as for the shift over I have to say: so far so good. Patrons are a little confused, but once you tell them what a PIN is, why the ID numbers are shorter, and even help them if they need it everything goes smoothly. I am quickly learning as I work the reference desk that sometimes people need to need someone. Sometimes that human interaction, taking the time to listen and help someone through something in a way that's not patronizing or unfeeling is all that people really want. In a a very human and basic way I completely understand that need, and I enjoy being able to help people. Someone recently told me that they didn't believe that the library was a science, and I am beginning to agree. It is much, much simpler than that.

I have started my collection development project, and so far have looked at the cookbook collection and noted where I see gaps, old-looking books that may need to be weeded or replaced, and have even started looking through a few publications to start making a 'wish list.' I was shocked to find a book on cheese with a copyright date of 1964! It has no pictures and is just boring, boring, boring. Maybe it was so shocking because I am an unabashed lover of cheese or else I'm just already an awesome librarian. Or both... Either way I can't wait to drool over some new cookbook publications!


The construction of the new children's wing is coming along wonderfully! I'll include pictures in the next post. Can't wait to report on what happens next.


Currently reading:

American Gods
by Neil Gaiman

Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel In Letters by Mark Dunn Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan


Currently listening: Liz Phair
Somebody's Miracle

No comments:

Post a Comment