Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer at the Library is Hot!

Summer is in full swing here at the library. With the sweltering heat we have been experiencing the library is a great place to get out of the sun and stay cool. Rainy days also seem to draw the crowds out.

I am still having a great time at the Ellettsville branch. I love talking to the kids, seeing familiar faces, and helping people find whatever they're looking for. With the Summer Reading Program and the Read It Off fine options program both under way I always get to talk to kids about what they're reading and reward them for doing so! Some of them are just so cute, with the greatest personalities. I am not going to pretend that some of the kids (and adults) aren't really annoying, but for every annoying person there are 10 nice, non-annoying people to make up for it. I understand that 'difficult' patrons are part of the job detail. Actually, it's just part of working with the public in general. So far I haven't had any memorably negative encounters with patrons, though I have heard stories from my co-workers so I know it's always possible. Not only does this job require that one have a thick skin, but also the knowledge on how to disengage from a potentially upsetting situation. Diplomacy is key, but some people will never be happy no matter what you do for them and they just want to argue and cause trouble. You can't let them ruin your day.

I am starting to pick teen/children's programs to attend and help out with. Just seeing the realization of all of that hard work will hopefully be enough to inspire and teach me about how it all came together. I know very little about programming. I know the end result, the programs, but I have no clue what goes into all of the planning, etc. and I'd like to learn!

I have also begun my collection development project. So far I have chosen the cookbook/recipe section from the library, gotten some circ stats pertaining to when the book was acquired, its status, how many times it has ever circulated, and how many times it has circulated in the last year. Books with low overall circulation rates will be selected for weeding. Books with low circulation rates for this year but high lifetime rates will be considered on a case by case basis. By that I mean I will go to the shelf and physically inspect the book to try to determine why it's not circulating. For example, is the book damaged, is it out of date, etc.? From there I will either choose to remove the book from the collection or try to update the copy with a newer one. I am also looking at items that have been lost but have had high circulation rates. Those materials will also be good candidates for reorder, if they are still in print. In addition, I have been looking at some print resources (Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, New York Times Booklist) to create a 'wish list' of books I'd like for the library to purchase. I have a budget of about $400, which won't be hard to spend! The best thing about the project is that they will actually buy the books I select!

I just love this librarianship thing. My plate is really starting to fill up with all sorts of exciting projects in the near future! Watch out world, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment